What a crazy month it has been for me and my family. Between James’s 1st birthday, the holidays and moving into our new home, we have been busy to say the least! Slowly as I unpack, I’ve been trying to decorate for the holidays. Even though I’d like to throw the holiday boxes in the attic, I really do want to have a special Christmas in our home!
I know it sounds silly, but I’ve been wanting to make these cinnamon spiced applesauce ornaments for a couple years. I’ve never found the time, which is crazy seeing how these are quick to make. They’ve been sitting on my Pinterest board forever! I decided to go for it today with the help of my sister. We made a batch and it was SUPER easy. Plus, my kitchen smells delicious! Too bad the ornaments don’t taste as good as they smell.
I followed this recipe from Katy Elliott’s home blog except that I omitted cloves, which I don’t really care for. I also used mini-sized cookie cutters, so my ornaments did not need to cook as long as the recipe notes. Mine were hard cooked by 2 hours in the oven!
The ornaments are super festive and look fantastic on my christmas tree. They would be such a quick, easy gift to whip up for neighbors and friends! Let me know how yours turn out!
I can’t believe this time last year I was pregnant with my little boy. The saying ‘Time flies’ brings on a whole new meaning once you have a baby. This past year has flown and James is about to have his first birthday! I love the maternity photo of us last year with our pumpkin!
Last Halloween, John and I were invited to our friend’s Halloween birthday party. I was already in my third trimester and had no idea what to wear! After extensive Pinterest research, John and I came up with at this last minute easy DIY maternity costume. It took no time to make at all! I loved my Sunny Side Up Egg costume :) Here’s the list of supplies that we needed for the costume.
List of supplies:
small rope or string
cardboard (at least 3 feet X 3 feet)
white spray paint
We cut the shape of the egg from cardboard and make sure you cut the hole for the yolk. Next, paint the cardboard with white spray paint. We cut the rope long enough for the cardboard to hang from my neck and cover my belly. Then throw on your yellow shirt and it’s all done!
At least this costume was comfortable! Now I need to create my costume for Friday!
What ideas to do you have for maternity costumes??
I’m excited to be able to share my newest addition to the family! I love how this chair turned out. It was a major accomplishment for me. This was definitely by far one of the more challenging reupholstery projects that I’ve tackled. I may make it look easy, but don’t be fooled. I am by no means a professional :) This project was scary and I was intimidated to say the least. Read more about how I acquired the chairs here. Isn’t the finished product beautiful?!
After purchasing the fabric and staring at the chair for a good week, I realized the fabric wasn’t going to jump on the chair by itself (an unfortunate discovery). So I dove in and started tackling the old staples and nails. I figured if I messed the project up, I could still take it to a professional if needed. But of course that wasn’t the case and I was able to finish the chair! I learned a lot along the way and here are a few tips I want to share in case you decide to attempt a reupholstery project yourself!
5 Tips You Need To Know For Furniture Reupholstery
1. Since I don’t recover furniture for a living, I really didn’t know how to estimate the amount of fabric I’d need for the project. At the store the employees were really helpful and showed me an estimator chart. Check out this Reupholstery Yardage Chart Estimator before you purchase fabric. Just simply pick out a picture that mostly resembles what you are trying to recover and it shows you an estimate of how much fabric you’ll need. I thought this was genius! I had no idea these charts existed.
2. Take pictures of the furniture as you remove the old fabric. This will help you remember how staples were hidden, where pleats were made, how fabric was folded, etc. This saved me big time! I would wonder why the parts weren’t fitting together and all I had to do was look back at the pictures I had taken during disassembly.
3.Label parts of the furniture to remember where each piece belongs.For example, my chair had left and right arms and sides which I labeled. When it was time to assemble the chair, I had no questions about where each part went.
4. After removing the old fabric from the furniture, use it as a template to cut your new fabric. This is the easiest way to rough out the pieces of fabric that will cover your furniture. Plus it helps by reducing waste. I always leave a little extra fabric too just to be on the safe side. Once you cut, there is no going back and unfortunately fabric will not grow! If you want to be even more careful you could cut a pattern from cheap fabric or batting before cutting your actual fabric. Then place the temporary fabric or batting on the furniture to see if it is the right fit. Then you could use the temporary pattern as a template to cut your real fabric. In the picture below I had already used the old fabric to cut batting, which I in turn used to cut my new fabric.
5. Don’t skimp on the staples. This is what keeps your piece together for the long haul!
After I recovered the seat portion of the chair, I cleaned up the walnut arms. On the left, you can see how the wood finish was faded and dull as compared to the right. I bought this product and it was really easy to use. It enhanced the wood by blending the worn finish and scratches! I highly recommend this product to clean up wood as opposed to refinishing.
Overall, I’m really happy with the way the chair turned out. The price of the chair itself and the fabric and supplies cost me about $125 per chair. Not too bad for a fancy looking chair! Now it’s time to finish the matching one!